Tuesday 29 July 2014

FSMK Summer Camp 14.07



Where do I begin?

It feels like just yesterday I entered Dayanand Sagar College of Engineering to attend the FSMK camp. I had no clue about what I was getting into, but deep down I know I wouldn't regret it. The lush green campus welcomed me at 8:30 am. Registrations done.

Close to 200 200 students from all parts of Karnataka, most clueless but more importantly eager to learn, were divided into groups of 20 and subdivided into groups of 5.

It started off with a very informative session on Shell Scripting. It was made clear to me that this camp was going to be learning driven.
That same night most of us chose to close our 'Windows' and open the doors to Ubuntu. BEST DECISION EVER. Especially after knowing the importance and relevance of Free Software.



Next 8 days was mix of a lot of things.

Web technologies like HTML, CSS, JavaScript, NodeJS and Karthic Rao (Read MongoDB) were introduced to us. Web developer tools and Internet Safety tools were introduced to us too. Priyanka Nag, a Mozillian gave an inspiring talk on Women in Technology. (We are Twitter friends now!)
The Internet's own boy, a beautiful documentary on the inspiring life of Aaron Swartz was screened in the auditorium, which enlightened us about the Martyr.
One evening was specially dedicated to give stage to the amazing talents in the camp and boy, that evening was energetic.
Good food and nice rooms made the stay better.

I made a lot of new friends, though I wished to have made more and know them better. I also realised it's better to have your own start-up or to work in a start-up than to work in a I or a T, thanks to Jnaapti and Scrollback.

This camp was an eye opener of sorts for me and I thank FSMK and all the amazing volunteers for making it happen!


























No comments:

Post a Comment